This recipe is an easy and delicious way to make Brussel Sprouts. I have learned that in order to ensure your Brussel Sprouts come out tasting yummy, they should never be over cooked! Over cooking them will lead to a bitter, unpleasant taste. Once they have become lightly browned, they are done! That's really it, no crazy tricks, it's just that simple! I've always heard of children hating this vegetable, but they were probably eating over cooked ones! I never had them as a kid, but I think I would have like them! If you're a veggie lover and haven't tried Brussel Sprouts, or think you don't like them, try this recipe and give them a second chance! This a perfect side for the Thanksgiving table too, and can be whipped up in no time!
*The recipe was adapted from Myrecipes.com and some ingredients were omitted to make it vegetarian.
1lb Brussel Sprouts- washed, stems trimmed, cut in half and any wilted leaves removed
1 Shallot, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Veggie broth
1 Tbsp I can't believe it's not butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil (about 2 Tbps) and heat on medium high
- Once heated, add in shallot and Brussel Sprouts and cook for about 5 mins
- Add in garlic cloves and veggie broth and Simmer on low heat for about 10 mins allowing broth to reduce
- Stir in butter and cook for about 5 more mins or until Brussel Sprouts are lightly browned (on the cut side)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste